Oral Hygiene Resolutions for 2020
New Year gives us an opportunity to revaluate our life choices in the past year. Most of us make resolutions at the start of the new year to change an undesirable trait or behaviour. This new year, Galleria Dental Centre encourages you to make certain oral hygiene resolutions. We are family-friendly and welcome patients of all ages for dental checkups, teeth cleaning and fillings.
Good oral hygiene is essential for your well-being as dental issues can affect your overall health. We have enlisted nine oral care resolutions for you to follow this new year:
- Brush Regularly – Not everyone knows how often they should brush and for how long. Ideally, you should brush your teeth after every meal. If this is not possible, rinse your mouth thoroughly after every meal. Otherwise, leftover food particles in your mouth promote bacterial growth, causing bad breath and cavities. Pay attention to how you brush and for how long. Brush at least for two minutes and make sure you cover all teeth surfaces. Spend an equal amount of time to clean each teeth. Don’t ignore hard to reach areas.
- Use the Right Products – Various kinds of toothpaste and toothbrush are available in the market. Talk to your dentist to find out which ones are best suited for you.
- Take a Healthy Diet – Your diet impacts your oral health. Certain foods such as carbonated soda, coffee and tea discolour your teeth. High sugar content in food increases the chances of cavities. On the other hand, fruits and vegetables are rich in fibre and help keep your teeth and gums clean.
- Maintain Healthy Habits – Habits such as smoking and chewing tobacco may cause teeth staining and harm your gums.
- Floss Regularly – Some of us may ignore flossing, but it is essential to keep your gums and teeth healthy. Floss reaches between your teeth and removes plaque and food particles stuck between your teeth that are difficult to clean with a toothbrush. This prevents plaque buildup, which can cause gum inflammation and impact the surrounding teeth.
- Add Mouthwash to Your Routine – Mouthwash is another oral care product that you should include in your regime. It freshens your mouth and kills bacteria that causes bad breath. Also, it reaches every nook and corner of your mouth and flushes out stuck food particles.
- Hydrate – Keeping your body hydrated has numerous benefits. It gives you glowing skin, flushes toxins, maintains body temperature and aids in digestion. Also, drinking water increases the production of saliva in your mouth, which helps clear stuck food particles.
- Routine Cleaning – In addition to good daily oral care routine, you should get your mouth cleaned regularly by your dentist. It helps effectively remove plaque from unreachable areas in your mouth.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly – Regular dental visits are essential to detect gum or dental problems at the initial stage. Otherwise, problems such as infections could spread from one tooth to the other, making treatment complex and difficult. Your dentist can recommend the ideal number of visits per year after understanding your oral health status. Ask these important questions to your dentist for personalized stress-free service.